Sunday, November 24, 2013

Making a semi trailer bounce on no budget


Ok, so I'm trying to figure out how to, on an indie film budget, rig a tractor trailer to jostle back and forth to simulate it's on the road movement. So far my best bet is http://www.riggingequipmentrentals.com/ I'm just telling them what I'm hoping to do, and since they actually know what the equipment can handle, perhaps they can help me out. And, they rent out the equipment, so it would be a little more realistic than trying to buy something like this.

The other thought I have is to attach a tow truck to the side of the trailer and tug it back and forth with super-heavy duty aircraft cable. I think this would work best, however, the issue is in preventing the potentail human error of pulling it too far and having the set fall on it's side. I don't want any sets tripping over on my watch.

Another idea is to use a jack with a double acting Electric Hydraulic Pump
Something like:
 
except that it costs $3,783.50


So here are some of the consumer products I've found that we might be able to use to jack it up and drop it down during the takes:




  • Husky Brute Electric Trailer Jack - Drop Leg - A-Frame - 18" Lift - 4,500 lbs

  • Electric jack with powered drive lets you lift and lower your trailer quickly and easily
  • $219.95

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Husky/HT87247.html













Trailer Jack
Drop Leg Jack
Sidewind Jack
13-1/2 Inch Drop Leg
12000 lbs

 $119.95


HI-LIFT 48 IN. CAST/STEEL JACK
Online Item #: 0000000033071
SKU: 002965358






$59.99
  • Min. to max. lift height - 4.5 to 37.24 in.
  • Rated load capacity - 4,660 lbs.
  • May be used to lift, winch, clamp, pull or push
  • ested load capacity of 7,000 lbs. for a safety factor of 150%
  • Made in the USA
  • Weight: Approximately 30 pounds
  • Shipping Dimensions: Approximately 51 x 10 x 5 inches.











More on this research as it develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment